City of Adelaide council election is held every four years. They decide the Lord Mayor and Councillors who will represent each ward.

The last election was in 2018. You can view and learn about the current Lord Mayor and Councillors

The next local government election will be in 2022.

Enrolling to vote

While voting in council elections is not compulsory, it’s a great way to get involved and have your say to influence the future of your local community.

You must be over 18 to register to vote and have lived in the city for one month before the rolls close, or own property within the City of Adelaide boundaries (the city and North Adelaide as bound by the Adelaide Park Lands).

If you are registered on the Australian Federal Electoral Roll or pay City of Adelaide property rates, you will automatically be registered. If you’re not an Australian citizen you can enrol directly with the City of Adelaide using the Resident/Sole Owner/Sole Occupier form.

If you own a business that is run from within the council boundaries you are eligible to vote (you don’t have to own the property the business is in). if you haven’t already, you will need to register your details.

Do I need to enrol to vote?

The following can help you decide if you need to enrol to vote. It’s important to remember that not everyone needs to enrol for Council elections to be included.

How do I enrol?

There are four ways you can to enrol, but you only need to complete only one:

  • Resident/ Sole Owner/ Sole Occupier Form - If you are a resident but are not an Australian citizen, or if you're the only owner or occupier (in a non-residential capacity) of the property. Non-residents who are the sole owner or occupier of a property can register your details online instead of completing this form.
  • Body Corporate Form - if your body corporate is the only owner or occupier of the property. Body Corporates can register your details online instead of completing this form.
  • Group Owner/Occupier Application Form - if you're more than one person or body corporate owns or occupies (in a non-residential capacity) the property. Groups can register your details online instead of completing this form.

Once completed, all application forms can be posted to:

City of Adelaide
Rates and Valuation
Reply Paid 2252
Adelaide SA 5001

Still not sure?

If you’re unsure which form to use, you can always register your details and one of our Rates team will be in contact with you.