Busking Permits have been temporarily suspended due to COVID-19.
For all the latest information and updates on our response to COVID-19 please visit www.cityofadelaide.com.au/covid19.

Adding life, colour and character to the city streets

Busking is a person (or group of people) performing in public in exchange for donations. Musicians, actors, street performers - you’ve no doubt seen or heard them, and the crowds they often attract. Rundle Mall and street corners are brought to life as the buskers add life, colour and character, provide entertainment, and hopefully making a few dollars in return.

Busking in Adelaide

Anyone can busk in Adelaide, you just need to apply for a free permit first. You can apply online, or in person at our Customer Centre during office hours.

For the safety and wellbeing of everyone, the following criteria apply:

  • groups are limited to a maximum of six people
  • performers under 16 will only be permitted to busk outside school hours and during daylight hours and must have written permission from a parent or guardian
  • the busking permit is for valid for one month, and can easily be renewed online
  • if under 12 years of age, the performer must be constantly supervised by a parent/guardian and only perform in daylight hours

You can read the full Street Permit Guidelines and should understand them before you apply.

Applying for a busking permit

Applying for a busking permit is quick, easy and best of all free. You can apply online or in person.

Before you apply, you’ll need to have the following handy:

  • personal details such as name, address, phone and/or email
  • 1 x photo identification (eg. drivers’ licence, passport, student id card), or
  • 2 x non-photo identification (eg. Health Care Card or phone/utility bill).

If the performer is under 12, parents will need to apply, and the permit issued using your details, therefore please provide your own ID.

Apply for a busking permit now

Where can I busk?

Rundle Mall is clearly the most popular place to busk, but you’re not limited to there. The surrounding streets are also fantastic areas to show off your skills. These streets are filled with cafes, restaurants and beautiful stores, so you are bound to get a crowd!

Outside of Rundle Mall, in the city or North Adelaide, you can pretty much busk anywhere as long as the footpath has a minimum width of five metres.

Consider places such as King William Street, North Terrace, Flinders Street, Melbourne Street, Jerningham Street, city squares and the Park Lands.

Please just remember:

  • busking must not impede pedestrian access
  • busking is not permitted in front of prominent buildings, such as Town Hall, Parliament House, Government House etc.
  • buskers must maintain a minimum distance of 50 metres from any other busker, preacher, event or promotion
  • the City of Adelaide Busking Permit does not extend to cover busking in the Central Market or inside the Adelaide Railway Station on North Terrace
  • busking enquiries for the Adelaide Central Market can be made by calling 8203 7495 on market days.

Remember to keep your busking permit on you at all times and be ready to show it if requested by an authorised Council officer or Police Officer. Good luck and have fun!

Need more information?

If you have any questions regarding permits, please contact the City of Adelaide Customer Centre Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm:

8203 7203