Media production

With wide streets, colourful alleyways, diverse architecture and pristine Park Lands, its no wonder Adelaide is a popular choice for media productions.

Film companies, commercial photographers, educational institutions, film studios, television stations, and the general public are welcome to use Adelaide’s city streets and Park Lands for media production. Before doing so, you may need to apply for a media production permit.

Do I need a media production permit?

The term “media production” refers to and includes commercial filming and photography.

You will need to apply for a media production permit if you are:

  • a commercial business or media production company
  • a not-for-profit organisation
  • a student of a media-related topic/course.

In addition, you’ll need a permit if you want to:

  • use the city streets, footpaths, Park Lands or Rundle Mall
  • close or have exclusive use of public areas such as the Adelaide Park Lands, malls, roadways and footpaths
  • use freestanding equipment such as lighting, generators, dolly tracks and tripods in public areas that could impede public use 
  • have cables on the ground in a public area.

Things to consider when applying

Risk management plan

The activity, location or subject matter you wish to film, or photograph may involve an element of risk (including setup and dismantling). Examples include: doing stunts, blocking paths, or the use of electrical equipment.

As part of the application approval process, the City of Adelaide must ensure the safety of both the applicants and the general public has been considered and that all risks have been identified.

All permit applicants must prepare a risk management plan which identifies any risks involved in the proposed activity and how they will be counter measured. These risks may affect whether approval is granted or rejected.

Road Closures and on-street parking spaces

Should you wish to close a road, street or lane you will need to obtain the appropriate permission first.

Fees may apply, so please ensure that you fully disclose exactly what it is you’d like to do on your application. Alternatively, you may wish to use our Temporary Parking Controls to reserve spaces for your essential production vehicles. Feel free to contact us to discuss your requirements or visit our parking controls page for more information about how to apply.


The Media Production Guidelines detail the key principles for media production permits and the Terms and conditions apply to all permits. 

The City of Adelaide recommends that you read these conditions thoroughly as they are enforceable. Other conditions may apply depending on the nature of your activity.


The permit costs for media production permits can be found in the City of Adelaide's fees and charges schedule. Search for the term "media production".

Please note: there is no permit fee for students (when a valid form of student ID is provided) and not-for-profit organisations.

Further fees may apply for items such as:

  • closing a road
  • taking out parking spaces
  • utilising infrastructure (such as water-filled barriers, setting up marquees).

Ready to apply?

Before submitting your application, please ensure that your proposed activity is compliant with the current restrictions that are in place due to COVID-19.

Please note, all media production permit applications must be submitted a minimum of five business days prior to the intended commencement date of your activity.

An application for an media production permit can be easily made online. Before you start, please have the following handy as you will need to submit:

  • a description of the activity
  • your proposed location(s)
  • a plan showing the setup of any infrastructure (if applicable)
  • a risk management plan
  • contact details for the on-site representative.

You may also need to supply the following items where applicable:

  • a Certificate of Currency of your Public Liability Insurance noting City of Adelaide as an interested party (generally requires a minimum cover of $20 million)
  • a separate application for a Temporary Parking Control (TPC) which has its own permit fee.

Apply now

How we can help you

The City of Adelaide is keen to work with filmmakers and commercial photographers. We own a number of buildings and businesses throughout the city and North Adelaide that may be suitable for your project. They include (but are not limited to):

Other resources

If the City of Adelaide is the base for your stay while you film further afield, you may need to contact other councils for media production and associated permits. 

Use the map on the Local Government Association website to aid you in securing your location. Simply click on the area you are interested in filming to show which Council has jurisdiction over that area and their contact details. You can then contact that Council for permission to film or photograph in their precinct.

Need more information?

If you have any questions about media production permits or would like to give us feedback about your experience, please contact us:

8203 7203