Governance structure

The governance structure of Councils provides a framework which supports open, transparent and informed decision making.

While legislation determines some key elements, there is no “one-size fits all” best practice structure, so each Council has an overall structure that works best for them.

Below is a summary of the current City of Adelaide governance structure.

Council

Council is the primary decision making body for the Corporation of the City of Adelaide.

Council is accountable to the city community for city leadership and strategy development that delivers benefit for all South Australians. Council is also responsible for the delivery of efficient and effective local government services that respond to the community’s needs.

The Committee

The Council has established a core advisory committee to provide a discussion forum on the overall priorities, strategies and policies related to achieving Council’s Strategic Plan outcomes.

The Committee is formed under section 41 of the Local Government Act 1999 (SA) and all Council Members are members of The Committee.

Other committees

Reconciliation Committee

This Committee works to advance reconciliation in the city and seek broad Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander participation in Council activities and events.

Audit Committee

The Audit Committee is a formally appointed committee of Council pursuant to section 41 of the Local Government Act 1999 (SA) (the Act) and performs the functions as stated in section 126 of the Act.

View the Audit Committee Terms of Reference.

Panel

Council Assessment Panel

The Council Assessment Panel (CAP) is established under the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016 (PDI Act). The role of CAP is to assist Council with the assessment and determination of development applications against the relevant provisions of Council’s Development Plan.

Council subsidiaries

Adelaide Central Market Authority

The Adelaide Central Market has been an icon in the city for 150 years and it is a key component of the City of Adelaide’s strategic vision for a vibrant economically prosperous city. It is supported by the Adelaide Central Market Authority (ACMA), which was established to build a solid and sustainable foundation for the Adelaide Central Market’s future.

Overseen by a six-member Board, the market’s mission is “To operate sustainably and successfully as a group of prosperous traders, Board and management team that provides a diverse and exciting cultural shopping experience that enhances our precinct, city and state”. ACMA is managed by a General Manager and a team of marketing and administrative specialists.

Adelaide Economic Development Agency

The City of Adelaide recognised the importance of accelerating economic growth in the city, and as part of its 2020-2024 Strategic Plan, sought to design and implement a new city-wide business model. This led to Council at its meeting on 6 October 2020 resolving to establish the new Adelaide Economic Development Agency (AEDA) (as a Section 42 Subsidiary of the City of Adelaide under the Local Government Act 1999 (SA) (the Act).

AEDA commenced operating on 18 January 2021 and is led by the Board which has responsibility to manage the business and other affairs of the subsidiary, ensuring that AEDA acts in accordance with the Act and the AEDA Charter. The Board is skills-based including expertise across hospitality, property development, place making, business development, investment, events and tourism. The Board consists of a Chairperson, one Elected Member (the Lord Mayor of the day) and up to 7 Directors (including one representative from the Advisory Committee).

AEDA will work closely with businesses, industry groups, State Government agencies and other relevant organisations to deliver a range of programs designed to stimulate the city’s economic growth. The focus will be on investment attraction, growing our visitor economy, residential growth, marketing the city as a whole and promoting Rundle Mall as Adelaide’s premier shopping destination.

Adelaide Park Lands Authority

The Adelaide Park Lands are the crowning glory in Colonel William Light's design of the city of Adelaide - 900 hectares of Park Lands that hug the city and weave through the residential areas like a leafy figure of eight, creating the world's only city in a park. They are a place where residents and visitors alike go for recreation, relaxation and socialising, contributing to the health and wellbeing of those who use them. 

The Adelaide Park Lands Authority (APLA) was established by the Adelaide Park Lands Act 2005 (SA) as a subsidiary of the City of Adelaide. It advises both Council, who manages 80 per cent of the Park Lands, and the State Government, who manage the remaining 20 per cent, on the protection, management, enhancement and promotion of the Park Lands.