Heritage Incentives Scheme Case Studies
The Heritage Incentives Scheme (HIS) is the most substantial local government heritage grant scheme in Australia, reimbursing owners with part funding for documentation and conservation work of heritage and unlisted historic character places which meet specific criteria.
The most common projects that receive funding through the HIS are:
- verandah reconstruction
- front fences
- paint removal and re-pointing
- salt damp (undersetting or chemical injection) and stone/brick repairs
- professional documentation and technical reports
- conservation management plans
The dramatic impact this program has on not only individual properties but the character of the entire City of Adelaide can be seen in the examples below.
Waymouth Street, Adelaide
Originally, the hotel was located in Elizabeth Street where it was first known as the Crown and Anchor. From 1853, it was renamed the Cumberland.
In 1882, during the boom period in Adelaide, the hotel was rebuilt, to the design of architect H.C. Richardson, at the corner of Waymouth and Elizabeth Streets where it stands today.
A total of $63k funding was provided in 2017 for professional advice & documentation and conservation works to the verandah and the balcony.
Please see the video above where publican John Waltham and architect David Brown, discuss the conservation project in more detail.
Discover more restaurants across the city which fuse heritage and food.
Waymouth Street, Adelaide
Constructed in 1852 as a twelve roomed two storey shop and house for John Paull, storekeeper. It remained in the family for over 60 years.
A total of $17.5k funding was provided in 2008 for professional advice & documentation, render removal, stone repairs and balcony reinstatement.
Grote Street, Adelaide
This house is part of an early 20th century subdivision built for R. Ruthven Smith between 1903-1905.
13 of the original 17 houses remain today along Gray Street, Grote Street and Ruthven Avenue.
A total of $76k funding was provided in 2017 for professional advice & documentation, roof repairs, verandah reconstruction, repointing and a picket fence.
Wakefield Street, Adelaide
This house was constructed in 1871 for Reverend Francis William Cox, the first pastor of the Hindmarsh Square Congregational Church.
A total of $69k funding was provided in 2015 for re-roofing, repointing stonework and brickwork, reinstatement of the verandah/balcony and salt damp repairs.
Sturt Street, Adelaide
From the 1920s this building was the home and shop of Afghani herbalist and healer, Hajj Mohammed Alam Khan, who purchased the shop from Singer Sydney Cooper.
A total of $16.5k funding was provided in 2006 for professional advice & documentation, paint removal, masonry repairs, repointing and verandah/balcony reconstruction.
Wyatt Street, Adelaide
This site enjoys associations with brewing dating from at least the 1840s.
These buildings form the majority of the former Adelaide Brewery and date from the 1870s when the brewery was virtually rebuilt to the design of Daniel Garlick. In 1871 new stables and offices were built by Thomas Martin, in 1872 Charles Farr erected a malt-house and cellar and in 1876 a cellarage, stores, malting floor, malt kiln and bottling rooms were constructed by Brown and Thompson. In 1902 the brewery closed.
A total of $74.5k funding was provided in 2016 for professional advice & documentation, paint removal, reinstatement of damp course, stone repairs and repointing and the propping of a masonry wall.
Tynte Street, North Adelaide
These attached cottages were built between 1881-1882 for George Taylor.
A total of $11K funding was provided in 2006 for stone restoration works, repointing, re-roofing, verandah reconstruction and a new picket fence.
McLaren Street, Adelaide
This single fronted cottage was built in 1879 for John Adams.
A total of $13,500 funding was provided in 2007 for professional documentation, salt damp works, stone restoration works, repointing, re-roofing, verandah reconstruction and a new picket fence.
Oakley Street, Adelaide
These attached cottages were built in 1867 for Sidney Smith, a carpenter.
A total of $25k funding was provided in 2008 for professional advice (including a Land Management Agreement), paint removal, salt damp works, stone restoration works, repointing, re-roofing and verandah and front fence restoration.
Childers Street, North Adelaide
These attached cottages were built in 1867 for John Jones.
A total of $26.5k funding was provided in 2009 for professional documentation, paint removal, conservation works to the stone façade, removal of the non-original portico and front fence alterations.
Whitmore Square, Adelaide
This hotel was first licensed as the Queen’s Arms in 1839 however the current building has a later date. The hotel was known as the Swan between 1848-1849, then it reverted back to the Queen’s Arms until 1904. It was known as the Bushman’s Club between 1904-1952, then the Hotel Gothic, and is currently known as the Whitmore Hotel.
A total of $20k funding was provided in 2010 for paint stripping, stone restoration works and repointing works to assist in returning the hotel back to its former glory.
Hutt Street, Adelaide
This former dwelling was built between 1872-1873 for A. G. Chapman.
A total of $25.5k funding was provided in 2010 for professional documentation, balcony reinstatement, chimney reinstatement and stone restoration works.
Waymouth Street, Adelaide
This former shop and attached cottage was built in 1904 for Isaac Michaels, storekeeper.
A total of $14k funding was provided in 2011 for professional documentation, paint removal, repointing and façade repairs.
Stanley Street, North Adelaide
This former shop, now residence, was built in 1908 for Emanuel Alfred Lawson, a Thebarton grocer.
A total of $30k funding was provided in 2008 for professional documentation, reinstatement of the original verandah/balcony and decorative timberwork and reinstatement of the original parapet, pediment and urns. A total of $18.5k funding was provided in 2011 for salt damp works (undersetting) and masonry repairs.
Find out more about the project through this video.
Brougham Place, North Adelaide
English and Soward designed this former house in 1901 for George Milne. It was built by William Rodger. Since the early 1950s this residence has formed the earliest part of Lincoln College, which provides accommodation for tertiary students.
A total of $100k funding was provided in 2012 for professional documentation, repairs to the roof and the verandah/balcony and the reinstatement of the decorative timberwork. Funding was also provided by the National Historic Sites Program for this project.
You may also like to view our Demonstration Projects. These projects seek to provide a customised assistance package to owners of buildings that pose particularly large, complex or significant conservation challenges.
For more technical information or specifications about any of these types of projects, please see Resources.