Compostable and Reusable Coffee Cup Pilot
The City of Adelaide is partnering with CBD cafés within the pilot area to trial incentive payments with the aim of reducing the amount of waste generated by takeaway coffee cups.
The pilot area is bound by Gawler Place, King William, Flinders, and Grenfell Streets and the pilot will run until May 2018.
All businesses selling takeaway coffee within the pilot area will be eligible to apply for once-off financial rebates if they agree to:
- Offer a discount to customers who bring their own cups and / or
- Provide compostable takeaway coffee cups and lids.
The pilot aligns with Council’s Strategic Plan 2016-2020 and the Carbon Neutral Adelaide Action Plan 2016-2021 and will contribute to reduced carbon emissions from waste sent to landfill.
“I would encourage businesses and customers to get on board. Together we can work towards reducing waste from single use packaging”
There is clear community interest in a solution to our current takeaway coffee habits and the issue has been brought to wider public attention following the recent ABC’s War on Waste TV program.
Cafés currently participating in the pilot
The following cafes are now offering a discount to customers who bring their own cups:
The following cafes are now offering compostable coffee cups: please place them in a green organics bin so they can be composted
|Banh Mi Vietnamese Rolls||25 Grenfell Street|
|Mamachau||Shop 3, 118 King William Street|
Look out for participating cafés displaying the distinctive green pilot posters. As cafés sign up and come on-board, we will add them to this site.
How to apply
Cafés in the Pilot area can apply for a rebate by completing an application form.
As a business, why should I switch to compostable takeaway cups?
South Australia is a leader in commercial organic composting. In South Australia, compostable cups can be disposed of in organics bins that are sent to commercial composting facilities.
To address community confusion, the pilot project will also investigate the feasibility of standardised labelling for compostable and recyclable cups.
I’m a café outside of the Pilot area, what can I do?
Cafés outside of the Pilot area can still get involved and support customers to bring their own cups. We encourage cafés to offer a discount to customers who bring their own reusable cup when they purchase takeaway coffee and to sign up to Responsible Cafes, which promotes cafés who support reusable cups
Coffee drinkers outside of the pilot area are encouraged to support this initiative by making the simple shift to a reusable coffee cup; either bring your own for your next takeaway coffee or take the time to stop and drink your coffee in.
Most cafés welcome customers who bring their own reusable cup and a growing number will provide a discount to those that do. Check out Responsible Cafes to see if a café near you offers a discount for bringing your own cup. You can also encourage your favourite local café to get on board.
Sometimes it’s the small things
Click here for terms and conditions
Adelaide Living Spring 2017 Edition – Keepcup Giveaway
- City of Adelaide (The Promoter) is giving away 50 KeepCups (prize), while stocks last and limited to one per entrant.
- To participate in the ‘Adelaide Living Spring 2017 Edition – KeepCup Giveaway” to receive (one) KeepCup, entrants must:
a. Take a selfie at any one of the Compostable and Reusable Coffee Cup Pilot cafés (for list of participating cafes visit: www.cityofadelaide.com.au/your-council/funding/compostable-and-reusable-coffee-cup-pilot/;
b. Post it on Instagram with the hashtag #carbonneutralADL and tag the café;
c. Then be one of the first 50 to present your Instagram post at the City of Adelaide Customer Centre on 25 Pirie Street
- Entrants must provide email address at the Customer Centre to receive a digital copy of Adelaide Living via email.
- The promotion starts on Monday 4th September 2017 and ends on Thursday 30th November at 5.00pm (Adelaide time) while stocks last.
- By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these conditions. Entries must comply with these conditions to be valid.
- The Promoter holds no liability if for any reason the prize, or any part of the prize becomes unavailable for any reason beyond the Promoter’s reasonable control. No compensation will be payable if an entrant is unable to use any element of the prize as stated for whatever reason. Any part of the prize that is not taken for any reason is forfeited.
- Consent: The entrant consents to providing a free and perpetual licence to City of Adelaide to use their photo and name for promotional purposes, including but not limited to social media.
- Entry is open to South Australian residents aged 18 years and over.
- City of Adelaide staff directly related to the ‘Adelaide Living Spring 2017 Edition – KeepCup Giveaway’ and their immediate family are not eligible to enter.
- Liability: Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the Promotion, including but not limited to the use of the prize.
- The decision in relation to any aspect of this promotion is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- The Promoter makes no representation, expressly or implied, as to the quality, reliability or suitability of the free gift and expressly disclaims any liability.
- The Promoter and you acknowledge that Instagram and Facebook in no way sponsors, endorses, administers or is associated with this promotion. You release Facebook and Instagram completely from all liability in regard to this promotion.
- The Promoter is City of Adelaide, 25 Pirie Street Adelaide SA 5000. ABN No 20 903 762 572.