The Business of Being Creative
The Business of Being Creative is an innovative, world-class program that supports creative enterprises to thrive and make a meaningful community impact. Across 90 days, participants will build on their ideas and global connections with industry-leading mentors, and develop their entrepreneurial mindset and storytelling skills in workshops and masterclasses.
The 2018 program has finished. Stay tuned for future opportunities!
The program is for anyone who wants to develop a sustainable career from their creativity. It’s not necessary to have a business plan to apply - you just need an idea! The program is open to creatives from any background and we welcome new, innovative and far-out ideas.
About the Program:
The program provides:
- Mentoring by a global industry-leader, specifically matched to you
- Workshops and Masterclasses to strengthen your knowledge base and skill sets
- Showcasing opportunities to share your ideas and source funding
There are positions available for 20 aspiring creatives in this unique program. Applications may be submitted as an individual or as a group (maximum 4 people).
At the completion of the program, $10,000 (4 x $2,500) of seed funding will be awarded to the top four participants.
This program will be delivered in partnership with Business Models Inc, an international strategy and design firm that helps organisations innovate and strategize for the future. They were the inaugural recipients of Good Design Australia’s ‘Design Pioneer Award’ in 2017 and have worked with a wide range of creative enterprises including Adobe, AirBnB, Arts Queensland, Microsoft and Twitter.
Who can apply:
We encourage any and all creatives to apply: digital creators, musicians, artists, story writers, performers, architects, game designers, fashion designers, jewellers, graphic designers, film makers and more. If you are creative and motivated, we want to hear from you!
The application must meet one of the following criteria:
- A creative individual/ group (max. 4 persons) interested in developing a creative enterprise
- A creative start-up idea that has been well-thought-out
- An existing creative enterprise within its first three years of development
The idea or enterprise will need to both:
- be creative and have a broader social function
- engage with City of Adelaide area and community (including visitors)
Applicants must have enthusiasm and commitment to all program components including full participation, collaboration, mentoring, evaluations and City of Adelaide terms and conditions. In the case of a group, all members must be able to commit to all program components.
11 April: Applications close
- 16 April: Shortlisted applicants assessment day
- 19 April: Workshop 1 - Introducing the Creative Entrepreneurs Mindset
- 3 May: Workshop 2 - Understanding Innovation: Tools and Skills
- 24 May: Workshop 3 - Validation 101: A science of a great creative business
- 7 June: Storytelling Masterclass: Compelling communications and engaging experiences
- 15 June: Seed Funding ‘Storytelling’ Assessment Panel
- 26 July: Graduation Ceremony
Back to Top