Our Market District
Our Market District - the right ingredients for the future is a 10 year strategy to grow and evolve the District.
Prepared during 2014 and 2015, the strategy was shaped by engagement with more than 2000 people through Council’s Picture Adelaide project, meetings with landowners, trader and public workshops, and establishing a Reference Group with representatives from traders, State Government and Council.
Our Market District was adopted by Council on 11 August 2015. On 12 December 2016, Council resolved to update the 2015 Our Market District to incorporate the Vision, Objectives and Guiding Principles of the Central Market Arcade Feasability Study. Our Market District 2017 includes this information. As the District received the Great Place Award at the Planning Institute of Australia SA Awards in 2016 and the Adelaide Central Market’s accessible toilet was opened in 2017, these are also referenced.
The detail of what happened in workshops, what data was considered, and what retail, business, transport, social, cultural, urban design and environmental directions emerged is compiled in the Market District Compendium comprising the following:
- Social and Cultural Directions Paper
- Urban Design and Transport Directions Paper
- Retail and Business Directions Paper
- Sustainability and Environment Directions Paper
- What We Started With (around mid-2014)
- What We Knew (data and trends we knew and informed the conversations)
- What We Heard from Themed Engagement
- What We Heard from General Engagement (valued places, aspirations, ideas and challenges).