Placemaking embraces the ideas, energy and capital of local people and works with them to create a collection of places with distinct character and style.
The Placemaking Strategy 2013-2015 provided the overarching framework to support Placemaking and outlines the Council’s aim to create:
- Unique districts and places across the city
- Empowered communities and strong partnerships; and
- Development of the council as a best practice organisation to better respond to place making initiatives.
A Place Facilitator was appointed to each pilot area to develop the partnership between community and council. The Placemaking approach involved:
- Building relationships with and connecting property owners, traders, residents and others, understanding their attachment to their place.
- Talking through aspirations, challenges and opportunities and
- Facilitating and encouraging projects to see what works and what is possible.