Skip to City of Adelaide content
our online payment systems including ePathway will be unavailable Monday,15 April, from 9:00pm to 11:30pm. Please try again after this time.p>
Call (08) 8203 7203

Building Code

Before commencing work

Once Development Approval is granted you are permitted to commence works. This must occur within 12 months of the date of the approval.

You are required to notify council a minimum of 24 hours prior to work commencing.

Customers are also encouraged to contact Council so that a Site Management Meeting can be arranged to discuss the processes of working within the City of Adelaide. Arranging this meeting assists to ensure a smooth and efficient construction process.

Site Management Meetings cover:

  •   How you intend to undertake your Development
  •   If you will need any City Works Permits for street occupation, concrete pours, etc.
  •   Traffic Management and any if parking controls are required

A site meeting can be held onsite, or at Council. Representatives from Building, Compliance and On-street services will be present at this meeting to assist with any queries you may have.

If you are not going to commence works within the 12 month period you should follow the steps guide listed in the Extending Development Approval information guide.


Council have a team of officers responsible for inspecting sites to ensure works are undertaken in accordance with the Development Act 1993, Building Code of Australia and appropriate Australian Standards. Officers may, at any time, request access to your site to ensure works are being undertaken in accordance with approved plans.

Completing works

Once your development is complete you are required to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). This will allow officers to undertake a final inspection, if necessary. A Builder’s Statement (Statement of Compliance) may be required to be submitted to Council at the completion of work.

Certificate of Occupancy

Prior to occupation a condition of the approval may be that a Certificate of Occupancy is required. A Council Officer can issue this certificate if Council has granted the approval Building Rules Consent.

Please contact Council to arrange for a site inspection to issue to Certificate of Occupancy.

Back to Top

We are currently trialing a new and improved homepage.

If you would like to continue, choose ’OK’

Thank you for trying the beta homepage.
Please take our survey to share your thoughts and feedback.