3D City Model
The City of Adelaide has created a digital 3D City Model that is helping visualise the City’s future, particularly in relation to growth scenarios and land use planning.
As a dynamic and growing City, Adelaide’s skyline has changed dramatically over the last 10 years and will continue to change.
The 3D Model can be used to:
- Provide a public consultation tool to assist in visualising transport, urban design and planning.
- Provide architects and building designers with 3D model data to assist in developing and refining their building proposals in a simulated real-world environment.
- Assist in assessment of development applications for new buildings, enabling accurate overshadowing, overlooking and simulation of how the building will look within the City context.
- Illustrating the location of heritage sites and (in the future) other important public facilities and attractions, linking in with photos and text information.
- Collaborating with government agencies and other bodies in visualising future transport, urban design and infrastructure projects.
The 3D City Model is available for public access. You can walk and fly through the Model and be fully immersed in the virtual City!
Accuracy of terrain, locations and buildings within the Model are generally within 50cm accuracy.
Please be aware that you will be downloading significant amounts of data and the responsiveness will depend on the speed of your internet connection. The data usage may also have implications on your internet plan’s download usage, and limit restrictions.
Launch the 3D Model
To access the Model, please ensure that you have the TerraExplorer Viewer and meet the system requirements:
NOTE: If you have previously installed the Version 5 viewer, you must upgrade to the Version 6 viewer
- Internet Explorer 8 or higher (32bit version only)
- Windows XP, 7 or 10
- Fast internet connection (broadband connection is recommended)
Please note you can only view and interact with the 3D City Model on Windows computers. It is only possible to run the Terra Explorer viewer in the Chrome or Firefox browsers using Internet Explorer compatibility add-ons for those browsers.
The entire 3D City Model (excluding digital terrain data) can be downloaded free-of-charge and with no restrictions on its use from the State Government’s Data SA website. The models are in .3DS format with JPEG textures.
Architects and building designers are encouraged to contact City Planning to discuss the benefits of submitting a 3D model with your Development Applications.Back to Top