White Hart Hotel, Hindley Street, 1927


Photo taken 01 March 1927

B 4046 E.O. Kiernan's White Hart Hotel with a horse drawn taxi outside on 21 March 1927. The White Hart Hotel was at 31-33 Hindley Street on the eastern corner of Peel Street. The first hotel on this site was the Volunteer Hotel in 1840. It was rebuilt in 1855 as seen here with a decorative parapet and a wide verandah on both floors, decorated with iron lace. The hotel closed in 1927. It was then converted to shops, with tenants such as Dryen's Tailors, Hatters and Mercers on the ground floor. It was known as White Hart Building and was demolished in 1973. Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia