Prince of Wales Hotel, Angas Street, 1923


Photo taken 01 February 1923

B 1188 25 Angas Street. Established in 1848. In 1924 this hotel was converted into premises for the Returned Soldiers and Sailors Association. From 1860-1864) known as the Supreme Court Hotel (not to be confused with the premises on Gouger Street). The building has been demolished. The hotel in 1865: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/40870... 'SOLDIER'S SEND-OFF At the Prince of Wales' Hotel, Angas street, on Saturday night a farewell smoke social was tendered Private J. R. Mc Laren, a city letter carrier who represents the South Australian branch, Australasian Letters Carriers' Association in the second expeditionary force. The president (Mr. F. W. Hunt} presided over a large attendance. The loyal toast "The King and Allies" was given by the president. Mr. C. F. Buttery, overseer of letters carriers, handed several letters of introduction from the Australian executive, Melbourne, and also submitted a few welcome remarks. Private McLaren responded with thanks. In submitting "Our Guest" the president paid a high tribute to Private McLaren's work during his term of office as secretary to the association. On behalf of the letter carriers he presented Private McLaren with a pair of gold sleeve links with initials engraved, knowing full well he would always remember his comrade letter carriers. Private McLaren responded, thanking members for their kindness. Messrs. H. J. Brown, J. Higgins. W. Cass, W. J. Penery, C. Woodroffe, and A. Sincock also spoke. Items were kindly given by Messrs. W. J. Smith, J. Chellew, G. Parker, A. Arrowsmith, A. Roberts, A. Sincock, W. J. Penery, F. W. Hunt, and Ted Carlton (ventriloquist).' Daily Herald, Saturday 21 November 1914, page 3 Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.