Oakfield Hotel, Flinders Street, 1961


Photo taken 01 January 1961

B 63323/9 On the south east corner of Flinders Street and Ackland Street. Established in 1851 as the Norwich Arms Inn, at 203 Flinders Street, it became the Oakfield in 1879. Closed in 1963. Demolished as part of Frome Road project. Photo is part of an album of twenty four photographs mounted on card bearing written annotations and line drawings which depict the exact location of buildings in the eastern part of Adelaide that were demolished in 1961 to make way for the Frome Street project. Click the number above for the whole album. The hotel in 1917: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/15508... And in 1929: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/23398... Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.