Carlton Hotel, Sturt Street, 1935


Photo taken 27 December 1935

B 6768 Established as the Rose Inn on the north-west corner of Sturt Street and Russell Street in 1840. Was known as the Carlton from 1923 to 1967, then reverted to the Rose until it ceased trading in 1975. The building survives with some changes to the facade. The balcony, installed 1935 shown here, no longer exists in this style. The Rose in 1922: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/39140... 'DISTURBANCE AT CITY HOTEL Three police motor cycle patrols went to the Carlton Hotel Sturt street, City, this afternoon, where a disturbance had occurred between some soldiers. The Provost Corps was also called, and several soldiers were later arrested.' The Mail, Saturday 16 January 1943, page 2 Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.