City of Adelaide plays a key role in providing recreational opportunities and supporting infrastructure within the Park Lands and City Squares that encourages physical activity among the community.
Fitness Activity Permit - Personal Trainers & Fitness Groups
A Fitness Activity Permit is required by personal trainers and fitness instructors to conduct personal training sessions and/or fitness group activities within the Adelaide Park Lands or City Squares. This may include individual trainers working for commercial, non-commercial or not-for-profit fitness organisations; or a sole trader of a small business. The purpose of this permit system is to manage the responsible use of the Park Lands and City Squares.
Please refer to the Operating Guidelines on the use of the Adelaide Park Lands by fitness groups and personal trainers for further information and Conditions of Use.
Approved Locations and Times
A map showing the locations that are available to trainers is provided via the link below. These locations are maintained and managed by City of Adelaide. Please note that sporting facilities that are licensed to other organisations (e.g. university, schools and sporting clubs) are not included in the approved locations.
Some locations also have specific conditions, such as Rymill Park and Rundle Park being only available from May to October (i.e. outside of event season). The proposed location and activity of each application will be individually considered for suitability prior to approval.
Use of the Park Lands and City Squares are limited to the specific times:
Day light savings period: 6am to 9pm
Non day light savings period: 6am to 7pm
The following activities by accredited permit holders will be allowed in the Adelaide Park Lands and City Squares;
- Gym sessions (with or without free weights, medicine balls, jump and balance activities);
- Aerobic activities – sprints, obstacles, speed and agility courses;
- Yoga, tai chi, pilates and any mat activity;
- Circuit training;
- Boxing with pads;
- A combination of any of the above;
- Any other associated activities approved by Council.
The following activities are not permitted:
- Activities within playgrounds and on picnic benches;
- Martial arts (unless covered by separate insurance);
- The use of logs;
- The use of resistance machinery and heavy weights (e.g. bench/leg presses).
The following areas are not permitted for use:
- Picnic sheds and benches;
- Exclusive use of public outdoor fitness equipment in parks and reserves;
- Areas within 10 metres of memorials;
- Areas within 10 metres of any playground or item of play equipment;
- Areas within 10 metres of any public change room, toilet or kiosk;
- Areas within 50 metres of any neighbouring residential property;
- Training on stairways and pathways (these can be travelled upon but are not to be used for either static or repeated training routines);
- BMX track (within Kurangga (Park 20));
- Skate Park (on North Terrace);
- Bridle Path (within Park 6/Nantu Wama);
- School or university grounds (e.g. Adelaide High School);
- Court facilities;
- Car parks;
- Adelaide Oval licenced area (Park 26 - bounded by War Memorial Drive, Morphett Street, Pennington Terrace and King William Road);
- Heritage Grandstand (within Victoria Park/Pakapakanthi).
Just starting up a business? Need assistance on how to grow your city-based business? Council's business team offers free advice and access to business development services for anyone owning or managing a business in the City of Adelaide.Back to Top