20 Feb, 2020

Supplementary Election

City of Adelaide will be holding a supplementary election for the Central Ward following the departure of Councillor Houssam Abiad who has resigned from his position.

The enrolment period is short, as the roll closes at 5pm Friday, 28 February. So, whether you’re a new resident, business or property owner, you need to enrol so you’re able to vote for the person who you believe can make a positive impact on the city.

Nominations for candidates open Thursday 26 March and close 12 noon Thursday 9 April.

Voting material will be sent out to those registered between 21 – 27 April, with voting closing at 12 noon Monday 11 May.

To be able to vote in the upcoming supplementary election you must ensure you are enrolled. Voters can go to the City of Adelaide website and check their details on an online portal or send any enquiries to [email protected] Only voters in the Central Ward will receive ballot packs for this election. However, any person with a voting entitlement in the City of Adelaide area may nominate to stand as a candidate in the election.

Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor wanted to remind eligible voters that it is just as important for to people vote in the supplementary election as in a full election.

“It’s so important that people take up this opportunity to have a say on who they want making decisions about their city,” said the Lord Mayor.

“I also strongly encourage anyone who wants to make a difference to the future of the city to consider running for Council.

“This is a terrific opportunity to become a strong voice for local residents and business owners and to be an important part of the decision-making process here at Town Hall.”

People may be eligible to enrol if they are a resident, owner of a property, owner of a business or an operator of a business.

Residents who are already enrolled to vote for State and Federal elections will be automatically enrolled for this election. If not, residents living in a property in the City of Adelaide area are able to enrol either through the Electoral Commission of South Australia (Australian Citizens), or through Council (non-Australian Citizens).

For more information about enrolling to vote, voting and standing as a candidate, please go to https://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/about-council/your-council/elections/

Additional information

A Ward Councillor is elected from a defined geographical area called a Ward, whilst an Area Councillor is elected from the whole of the Council Area. There is no difference in the roles and responsibilities of an Area Councillor and a Ward Councillor. The legislation does not differentiate between the two but rather defines the role of a Council Member in stating that persons elected to Council represent the interest of the residents and ratepayers.

The Central Ward covers the Central Business District of the city and is bordered by the River Torrens, Dequetteville Terrace, Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Gouger, Wright and Angas Streets to the south and Park Terrace.

For more information

Matt Halliwell