During construction

Council involvement doesn’t stop when Development Approval is granted.

There are a series of mandatory notifications and certifications that must be achieved during construction, before you can proceed to the next point. This applies regardless of the size or nature of your project (residential or commercial).

To help you, we’ve compiled a list of these key progress stages where you’ll need to contact the City of Adelaide. Failure to do so may result in fines and further enforcement action, resulting in costly delays.

Although you are able to start work once Development Approval has been granted, you do need to advise Council a minimum of one business day before work commences.

To do this just email and include your DA Number, site address, contact details (including phone number) and Builders Licence number.

Customers are encouraged to contact Council so that a site management meeting can be arranged to discuss the processes of working with the City of Adelaide. Arranging this meeting helps ensure a smooth and efficient construction process for everyone.

Site management meetings cover:

  • how you intend to undertake your Development
  • if you will need any City Works Permits for street occupation, concrete pours, etc.
  • traffic management and any if parking controls are required.

A site meeting can be held onsite, or at council offices. Representatives from Building, Compliance and On-street services will be present at this meeting to assist with any queries you may have.

Under the Development Act 1993, you (or the applicant) must to notify Council within one business day of various stages of construction for all Development Applications. Inspections may be required by Council Officers.

Please refer to the Mandatory notifications page for a full list of stages for both residential and commercial projects.

The Council has a team of officers responsible for inspecting sites. They ensure that works are undertaken in accordance with the Development Act 1993, Building Code of Australia and appropriate Australian Standards.

Officers may, at any time, request access to your site to ensure works are being undertaken in accordance with approved plans.

If you’ve been advised by Council that your building requires essential safety provisions to be installed or maintained, you are required to notify Council at both the installation, and maintenance stage. You can do this by submitting relevant forms provided below.

Installation stage

The Development Act 1993 states that the owner of a building where essential safety provisions must be installed, must, within a reasonable time after installation, provide to the council a FORM 2 certificate of compliance for each essential safety provision, signed by the installer. If the installer is a company, the manager responsible for the installation work must sign.

Maintenance stage

The owner of a building where a schedule of essential safety provisions has been issued, must, as soon as practicable at the end of each calendar year, provide council with adequate proof that maintenance and testing was completed on the safety provisions. This is done by returning a FORM 3 document.

Following the completion of works you may be required to submit a Statement of Compliance. You will be advised of this in your approval documents from Council.

The Statement of Compliance must be accompanied by any certificates, reports or other documents as requested by Council (this will be detailed in your Development Approval advice).

A Statement of Compliance must be completed as follows:

  • Part A of the statement must be signed by the licensed building work contractor responsible for carrying out the relevant building work or, if there is no such person, by a registered building work supervisor or a private certifier;
  • Part B must be signed by the owner of the relevant land, or by someone acting on his or her behalf.

Download a Statement of Compliance template

The Statement of Compliance should be emailed to Council within 10 business days of the work being completed.

A Development Approval may require a Certificate of Occupancy be issued prior to the occupation of the building/tenancy. If the application was assessed by a Private Certifier please speak directly with them about obtaining one.

If you want Council to issue the Certificate of Occupancy, please contact Planning and Building Staff. They will guide you through the process. Please be aware there is a statutory fee for this service.

Note: If you are not going to commence works within 12 months of Approval being granted, you need to apply for an extension. Simply follow the steps guide listed in the Extending Development Approval Information guide.

Need more information?

Please contact the City of Adelaide Planning and Building Department:

8203 7185