Demonstration projects

A demonstration project seeks to provide a customised assistance package to owners of buildings that pose particularly large, complex or significant conservation challenges.

Generally, this type of project will have one or more of the following characteristics:

  • buildings with multiple heritage elements of high conservation value
  • visually prominent, with strong contribution to streetscape character
  • multiple and/or complex ownership arrangements
  • a history of under-utilisation emphasising the importance of viable re-use
  • requirement for continuity of funding support over more than one year
  • estimated value of professional advice and documentation and conservation works exceeding $100k
  • buildings with high heritage value but with marginal or nil economic return.

In 1998, an engineer’s report showed the two eastern minarets of the Mosque were distressed structurally and required reconstruction and reinforcing to make them structurally (seismically) stable.

Given the national significance of the Mosque a funding strategy was put in place which divided the total costs equally between all tiers of Government (Local, State and Federal) and the owner – a four way funding partnership.

Conservation works began in early 2000 with the intent of reusing as much of the original masonry as possible, and works were completed later that year.

In 2006-2007, an engineer was engaged to monitor and report on the condition of the two western minarets of the Mosque. A three way funding partnership was put in place between Government (Local and Federal) and the owner, and conservation works began in 2010. The completed restoration of all four minarets was completed in 2011 and used the maximum amount of historic material whilst bringing them up to current structural requirements.

House former blacsmith shop before

This building on Morphett Street was constructed in 1848 as a three-roomed cottage with the one-roomed shop added in 1857.

It is significant not just for its age but its illustration of early building techniques which are valuable reminders of the development of Adelaide.

The property was purchased by Martha Standley in 1913 from who the most recent owner is descended.

The appearance of the property has changed little since its initial construction. By the early 1990s the property had deteriorated externally and was deemed unfit for habitation.

In 1998 a partnership between the owner, City of Adelaide and a community housing group was formed to save the building and enable the owner to continue to occupy her family home. The City of Adelaide Heritage Incentives Scheme provided approximately $40k funding along with an additional $60k provided through a low-income housing fund to conserve the façade (salt damp works), structurally stabilise the parapet to the shopfront and modernise the interior.

Watch the video A Living History to learn how the property was prior to Heritage Incentives Scheme funding.

Watch the video The Inside Story to learn how Heritage Incentives Scheme funding was applied. 

House former blacsmith shop after
Beresford arms before
photo-icon City of Adelaide

Built in 1839, the Beresford Arms is Adelaide's earliest remaining Inn. The building was first licensed as the Beresford Arms in March 1840. It is one of only two dozen remaining buildings shown on Kingston's Map of 1842.

City of Adelaide purchased this historic, State Listed property in 2006. At the time of purchase the building was in a very poor state. Lack of maintenance and a fire had left the building in a condition many would think was beyond repair. However, Council recognised the loss of this building would also be the loss of a significant connection to Adelaide's first settlers.

Conservation work commenced in November 2007. Work included conservation of the original timber shingle roof and protection via a new galvanised iron roof. There were extensive salt damp treatments, a new floor, conservation of original ceilings, new ceilings (in some cases), a new fence and the excavation of an original cellar.

The work is now complete, and the project provides an amazing example of the results achievable when you have committed owners, architects and tradespeople as well as access to Council’s Heritage Incentives Scheme. The building was sold in 2012.

Watch these videos that tell the story of the Beresford Arms conservation project.

The oldest inn in South Australia

Hidden secrets of the past

On the tools
Decisions, decisions
A spot of salt damp
Past, present and future

Beresford arms after
photo-icon City of Adelaide

Need more information?

If you have any questions or for more information please contact Council's Heritage Team:

8203 7185

send an email