Skip to City of Adelaide content
our online payment systems including ePathway will be unavailable Monday,15 April, from 9:00pm to 11:30pm. Please try again after this time.p>
Call (08) 8203 7203

Noise in the City

Adelaide City is an exciting and lively place to live, with plenty happening both day and night. The proximity to shops, restaurants, transport, employment and entertainment creates a more vibrant and ‘mixed-use’ environment than most suburban areas.

If you are interested in moving to the City, we suggest you get familiar with the sounds of where you wish to live. Visit the area at different times, as sound and activity can vary throughout the day and night.

Consider spending a night in a hotel or apartment, preferably close to where you intend to purchase. This will give you the opportunity to experience and listen to the activities that make Adelaide such a vibrant place. If possible, choose a hotel or apartment offering windows that open or a balcony, so you can experience the sounds of the City at night. It is also important to investigate the opening hours of potential noise sources that may be located nearby.

The acoustic design of a residence also needs to take into account the sounds of the City.

If you have any noise complaints relating to major Festivals occuring in the city during February-March, please visit this page for contact details. 

Who can help?

Given the vast range of activity that generates noise, noise regulation in South Australia falls under a range of different legislation administered by different agencies and authorities.

If you are experiencing noise problems from a neighbouring business or residential property, it is recommended that you first try talking about the problem with them. Express your concerns honestly and respectfully. They will then be aware of the problem and may attempt to reduce the noise. If this does not solve the problem, you may need to contact the appropriate authority.

The table below shows a matrix of the agencies that can be contacted for advice, resolution or assistance of noise matters. It should be noted that:

  • Timely and consistent service of a particular issue is subject to an agency’s available resources and work load priorities at any given time.
  • In some instances may require the involvement of several agencies.

FACT SHEET: Sounds in the City


Type of noise

Local Council




Community Mediation Service

People Noise (parties, loud TV/radio, musical instruments, revving vehicles & shouting)     x   x
Animal Noise x       x
Waste Collection x        
Fixed Domestic Machinery (air conditioners) x x     x
Domestic Activity (power tools, lawn mowers etc.) x x     x
Noise from a residence located within the same multi-tenanted building/group       x x
Intruder Alarms   x x    


Type of noise

Local Council


Office of Liquor and Gambling Commissioner

Safework SA or Work Cover

Licensed Premises & Patrons     x  
Waste Collection   x    
Mechanical Plant / Air-Conditioners x x    
Frost Fan x x    
Noise within the Workplace       x


Type of noise

Local Council



Air Services Australia

Aircraft       x
Construction x x    
Street Maintenance x x    
Events (except Botanic Gardens & Adelaide 500) x      
‘Hoons’ / Anti-Social Behaviour     x  

For further information, please visit the appropriate authority’s websites and see the Sounds in the City fact sheet.

Contact the Agency

City of Adelaide
T: 8203 7203
E: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Environment Protection Agency (SA)
T: 8204 2004
E: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

SA Police
T: 131 444
E: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) 

Office of Liquor and Gambling Commissioner (now Customer & Business Services)

T: 131 882
E: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Safework SA
T: 1300 365 255
E: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Work Cover
T: 13 18 55
E: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Air Services Australia
T: 1800 802 584

Community Mediation Service
South Australian Community Legal Centres
T: 8111 5555 or 1300 366 424

Back to Top

We are currently trialing a new and improved homepage.

If you would like to continue, choose ’OK’

Thank you for trying the beta homepage.
Please take our survey to share your thoughts and feedback.