Missing Dogs and Cats
If you have lost your dog or cat, please consider the following:
Please ensure your pet's microchip details are up to date and all contact phone numbers are current, and:
1) call Council to notify us of your missing dog or cat 8203 7203
2) check our live feed below for recently impounded animals
3) contact the Animal Welfare League directly on 8348 1300
4) contact the RSPCA on 1300 477 722
5) notify local and nearby veterinary clinics and the After Hours Emergency Vet clinic 8371 0333
6) notify neighbouring councils
7) check social media lost pet pages
8) place an advertisement in the paper stating the breed, sex, colour, age, any identification, where and when your dog or cat was lost and your phone number
9) put a notice in your local supermarket or deli
10) ask at your local school and shopping centre.
How we help
We make every effort to reunite wandering dogs and owners as quickly as possible.
- Registration discs and id tags
- Microchip number, and search all national microchip databases for owner contact information
- Our lost dog register
We display impounded dog notices:
- at our Customer Centre, 25 Pirie Street, Adelaide
- on our website below
Dogs whose owners can not be contacted will be taken to the Animal Welfare League located at 1 to 9 Cormack Road, Wingfield SA 5013. They must be claimed within 72 hours of being impounded. You may call the Animal Welfare League on 8348 1300 during their opening hours.
When you find your dog
Please let us know when your dog has been found.
If you find a stray dog
Report it to the City of Adelaide immediately on 8203 7203. An authorised person will collect the dog and return to owner or impound the dog at an approved facility for suitable care until the owner can be located. Do not remove any identification.
It is an offence under the Animal Welfare Act 1985 (Formerly Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1985) to abandon a dog or cat. Severe penalties apply. View the Animal Welfare Act 1985. If you are unable or unwilling or unable to care for your dog or cat, please contact your local animal shelter to discuss surrender options.
If you wish to report animals that have been abandoned or cruelty concerns relating to mistreatment, harming animals, not providing owned animals with adequate food, water or shelter, please report the matter to RSPCA SA on 1300 477 722.
Impounded Dogs Listing
Note: If your dog is not listed below this does not mean your dog is not at the Animal Welfare League, please contact them on 8348 1300 to confirm.Back to Top