Free Samples & Business Promotions
Free samples and business promotion permits enable the distribution of free samples by businesses to the general public and/or to conduct commercial promotional activities in the public realm.
"Free Sample" refers to any sealed food products such as yoghurt, packet soup, chocolates or merchandise being given away with no obligation placed on the person accepting the sample.
Business Promotion is handing out items including pamphlets, vouchers or undertaking an activity to promote a particular business.
Who Can Apply?
Anyone can apply for a Free Samples and Business Promotion permit.
Please note: Generally the activity shall be conducted for a single period of no longer than three hours in a day and no more than two people can be grouped at the same location. A minimal amount of infrastructure is allowed for use during the business promotion. The product (sample) being distributed must not be in a direct conflict/competition to the local business.
Locations are approved on a case by case basis and determined by the responsible Permit Officer.
The following locations are not included in the Free Samples & Business Promotion Permit;
- Rundle Mall
- Adelaide Central Market
- Adelaide Oval River Bank Precinct
- Entrances to and inside Railway Station
- Directly outside of Parliament House
- Within 50m of a Major Event declared by the Minister
How to Apply
To apply for a Free Samples & Business Promotion Permit please complete the form:
Return the completed form as per the directions on the application form or via the online application process:
You must submit with your completed application form:
- An example of the item to be distributed (if applicable);
- A certificate of currency of your Public Liability Insurance for a minimum of $20 million, noting City of Adelaide as an Interested Party.
- Map showing location(s) (in line with conditions);
- Plan showing setup of structures (if applicable);
The fees are applied as stated in City of Adelaide’s current Fees & Charges Schedule.
Business Promotion Permit cost can be found on the Council Fees and Charges Schedule
If you have any questions regarding permits, please contact:
Adelaide City Customer Centre
8.30am – 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
Phone 8203 7203