Elections - your questions answered

The City of Adelaide is holding a Supplementary Election in 2020.  Instead of the usual five elections, there will only be one election to fill the vacant Central Ward Councillor position.

One of the Central Ward Councillors elected at the 2018 elections has resigned from Council. Because the Council has determined to have a certain number of Councillors to represent its community, this vacancy needs to be filled.

As the position being filled is for a Central Ward Councillor, only electors in the Central Ward will receive voting papers. There will just be one ballot paper that needs to be filled out.

The Council’s voters roll is a list of the names of electors who are entitled to vote in the Council elections. Whilst the voters roll is relevant to determine who is entitled to stand for election, it is not the only criteria.

No, you don’t need to do a thing. If you received voting papers at the 2018 elections it means you were on the voters roll, and you will not have been removed from it.

You will already be on Council’s voters roll if:

  • you are on the House of Assembly Roll in the City of Adelaide area, or
  • you have enrolled with Council as a resident in the City, or
  • you are an owner of rateable property within the City of Adelaide.

If you don't fit within these categories, head to our Elections page to find out more.

No there isn't. Supplementary elections have the same nomination criteria as normal Council elections. The criteria can be found on our Nominations page. Any person enrolled in the City of Adelaide area can nominate, they do not have to have an entitlement in the Central Ward.

A Ward Councillor is elected from a defined geographical area called a Ward, whilst an Area Councillor is elected from the whole of the Council Area. There is no difference in the roles and responsibilities of an Area Councillor and a Ward Councillor. The legislation does not differentiate between the two but rather defines the role of a Council Member in stating that persons elected to Council represent the interest of the residents and ratepayers.

The mix of Ward and Area Councillors provides for local and area wide representation. It creates an opportunity for diversity of representation and supports the principle of adequate and fair representation.

For the supplementary election you will receive a voting pack consisting of a ballot paper for the Central Ward Councillor election. You will also receive a ballot paper envelope to place your return ballot paper/s, a postal voting guide, candidate profile booklet and a reply-paid envelope.

You will need to contact the Electoral Commission on 1300 655 232 and arrange to complete a form to have them issued/re-issued. If you haven't received them in the last week of voting you’ll need to attend the City of Adelaide Customer Centre at 25 Pirie Street to personally collect new ballot papers. They are open Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.

You can contact the Electoral Commission on 1300 655 232 and arrange to complete a re-issue form for ballot papers before your leave. This re-issue form will be actioned at least 14 days prior to the close of voting and new papers will be forwarded to the address that you nominate on your re-issue form.

Alternatively you can arrange for a friend or family member to forward your voting papers to the address where you will be located during the voting period.

You've only received one ballot pack because there is only one election being held. At periodic elections (held every four years) you might receive an entitlement for all 5 elections, which means you’ll have one ballot paper for each of those elections but this time, there is only one election, and you can only vote once in it.

For the supplementary election you will receive a ballot paper for the Central Ward Councillor election for one property. You won’t receive any additional ballot papers for any other properties.

A natural person may only vote once in the election. If you have more than one voting entitlement (i.e. one as an individual and one as a body corporate or group, or multiple properties in different company names), you must only vote once in the election. If you vote more than once, all of your votes will be rejected.

You cannot vote twice. If you receive two ballot packs, one from your residential entitlement and one from either your business or a group, you should only use the residential one.

You may complete your ballot papers as a resident and another member of the group or an officer of the business (Body Corporate) may exercise the other vote on behalf of your business or group. The definition of an officer is a director, manager, secretary or public officer of the body corporate and includes any other person who takes part in the management of the affairs of the body corporate.

Under the Local Government (Elections) Act 1999, all electoral material has to include a statement about who authorised and/or printed it. This legislation applies to everyone, not just candidates. If you see anything that you think is intended to influence the result of the election, that doesn’t include the authorisation, you can contact the Electoral Commission of South Australia. You will need to let them know, in writing:

  • exactly where the sign is, and provide a photograph if possible; or
  • include a copy of printed material; or 
  • provide the date, time and details of the social media account on which it was posted.