Adelaide events given certainty for their future
At its meeting on Tuesday night, the City of Adelaide approved multi-year event licences for many popular Adelaide events, giving the event organisers certainty for future planning.
In 2016 Council endorsed the Adelaide Park Lands Event Management Plan which focuses on managing events in the Park lands. It allows for multi-year event licences of up to five years to provide security to major event organisers.
All events that use the Park Lands were invited to submit an expression of interest in 2016. Following public consultation on the selected events, the successful applicants can now be announced.
City of Adelaide Lord Mayor Martin Haese said that multi-year event licences are a first for the events sector and the arts and culture industry.
“Council’s role is to provide support and certainty for event organisers so that they can plan their events with confidence.
“In addition to providing security for event organisers, multi-year events licences also improve our ability to play a curatorial role in facilitating events in the Park Lands.
“The new multi-year event licence seeks to strike a balance between facilitating events and making sure that the city is a great place to live and work, while also ensuring a harmonious co-existence with existing businesses.
“A variety of events in the city all year round creates an exciting and culturally rich experience for people who live in and visit the city.
“A strong creative culture is good for economic growth, social engagement, employment, and the wellbeing of our community.
“The Adelaide Fringe this week announced a 38 per cent increase in visitors in comparison to 2016, and revenue of $16.2 million - an 80 per cent increase in five years. This is a fantastic result that demonstrates how supportive Adelaide is of its cultural events.
“I look forward to enjoying many great events in the city in the years to come and I encourage our community to get out and about and enjoy them too.”
The full list of approved events is below.
• Adelaide Festival Corporation for the use of Pioneer Women’s Memorial Garden and Lady Esther Lipman Garden for Adelaide Writer’s Week from 2018-2022
• Adelaide Festival Centre, OzAsia Festival for the use of Elder Park/Tarntanya Wama,
• Pinky Flat/Tartanya Wama and Pioneer Women’s Memorial Garden for the Moon Lantern Festival from 2017- 2021.
• Australia Day Council of South Australia for the use of Elder Park/Tarntanya Wama and Pinky Flat/Tarntanya Wama for Australia Day in the City from 2018- 2022
• Carols by Candlelight South Australia Incorporated for the use of Elder Park/Tarntanya Wama for Carols by Candlelight from 2017- 2021
• Feast Adelaide Gay and Lesbian Cultural Festival trading as Feast Festival for the use of Pinky Flat/Tarntanya Wama for FEAST Festival Picnic in the Park from 2018- 2022
• Adelaide Fringe for the use of Rymill Park/Murlawirrapurka for the Adelaide Fringe- Box Office from 2018-2022 Gluttony for the use of Rymill Park/Murlawirrapurka for Gluttony from 2018- 2022
• The Gardeners of Unearthly Delights for the use of Rundle Park/Kadlitpina for The Garden of Unearthly Delights from 2018-2022
• Hundt Enterprises for the use of Rundle Park/Kadlitpina for the Adelaide Zombie Walk from 2017- 2021 Motorcycle Rider’s Association of South Australia (MRASA) Incorporated for the use of Victoria Park/Pakapakanthi for the MRASA Toy Run from 2017-2021
• Sporting Car Club of South Australia for the use of Victoria Park/Pakapakanthi and Park 15/Ityamaiitpina for the Adelaide Motorsport Festival from 2017- 2021
• Polo Events Australia Pty Ltd for the use of Victoria Park/Pakapakanthi for Polo in the City from 2017- 2021
• Volks Enthusiast Club of South Australia Incorporated for the use of Elder Park/Tarntanya Wama for Volksfest from 2017- 2021
• Womadelaide Foundation for the use of Frome Park/Nellie Raminyemmerin for WOMADelaide from 2018- 2022
• Adelaide Festival Corporation for the use of Elder Park/Tarntanya Wama for the Adelaide Festival Hub from 2018-2022.
• Grants Adelaide Festival Corporation landlord consent for a two year period (2018 and 2019) for the use of the River Torrens / Karrawirra Pari for the Adelaide Festival of Arts - The Floating Palais.
• Grants a four-year multi-year event licence Australian International Pedal Prix Incorporated for use of Victoria Park/Pakapakanthi for UniSA Australian HPV Super Series from 2017-2021
• Adelaide Festival Centre’s OzAsia Festival for the use of Elder Park/Tarntanya Wama for OzAsia Festival Hub from 2017- 2019
• Adelaide Horse Trials Management Incorporated for use of Rymill Park/Murlawirrapurka, Park 15/Itaymai-itpinna and Victoria Park/Pakapakanthi for the Australian International 3 Day Event from 2017- 2019
• Relationships Australia, South Australia for the use of Veale Gardens/Walyu Yarta for The Anniversary of the Apology to the Stolen Generations Community Event in Veale Gardens from 2018- 2020
• South Australian Tourism Commission for the use of Victoria Square/Tarntanyangga for the Tour Down Under Village and Bike Expo from 2017- 2020
• The Motorsport Group- South Australian Tourism Commission for use of Victoria Park/Pakapakanthi and Victoria Square/Tarntanyangga for Bridgestone World Solar Challenge for October 2017, October 2019 and October 2021 (inclusive)- noting the biennial nature of this event.
• Cirque Africa Unique Entertainment Pty Ltd for the use of Hindmarsh Square/Mukatu for Cirque Africa Theatrical Production from 2018- 2022 (three-year multi-year event licence with the possibility of a two year extension)
• Glendi Greek Festival Incorporated for the use of Victoria Square/Tarntanyangga for Glendi Greek Festival from 2018-2022, subject to the outcomes of public consultation (three year multi-year event licence with the possibility of a two year extension)
• South Australia Fun Run Committee Incorporated for the use of Elder Park/Tarntanya Wama for the City to Bay Fun Run from 2017- 2021 consultation (three year multi-year event licence with the possibility of a two year extension)
• South Australia Fun Run Committee Incorporated for the use of Victoria Square/Tarntanyangga for City to Bay Expo from 2017- 2021 consultation (three year multi-year event licence with the possibility of a two year extension)
• South Australian Tourism Commission for the use of Victoria Square/Tarntanyangga for the Adelaide Fashion Festival from 2018- 2019
• South Australian Tourism Commission for the use of in Victoria Square/Tarntanyangga for the Credit Union Christmas Pageant from 2017- 2018
• South Australian Tourism Commission for the use of Victoria Square/Tarntanyangga for Tasting Australia from 2018- 2019
For more information
8203 7760 / 0427 910 554